Golden Eagles continue offensive struggles against LSU, lose 5-0

Southern Miss (18-20) traveled to Baton Rouge to take on No.8 LSU (29-9). Southern Miss looked to gain its third win on the road, but its efforts fell short as it lost 5-0 to the nationally ranked Lady Tigers. Wednesday’s loss dropped the Golden Eagles to 1-4 against SEC opponents, and 2-6 on the road this year.

The Golden Eagles have faced LSU 26 times leading up to Wednesday’s game. LSU has claimed a victory in 21 of those 26 meetings between the foes. Just like in the previous meetings, LSU’s dominant hitting and efficient base running was too much for the Golden Eagles.

The Lady Tigers managed to score a run in every inning excluding the first. Southern Miss pitchers Jillian Johnson and Samantha Robles both pitched three innings, but the Lady Tigers game plan stayed consistent.

In the top of the sixth inning, Southern Miss started to give the Lady Tigers a scintilla of fear as Samantha Papp started the inning off with a much-needed single.

After two fielder’s choices, one which allowed Katie Cleary to reach first base, Morgan McKeever singled to left field and advanced Cleary to second base. Sarah Evans would then walk on a full count and load the bases for Southern Miss. The hopes of a comeback would then dwindle as Samantha Robles popped up into the infield to change the sides. That ended the only hope that Southern Miss had for them to pull out an upset victory.

Southern Miss is 2-13 this season after trailing in the sixth inning. Batters left on base have been the story of the season. The Golden Eagles managed to leave eight runners on base in the contest, six of which were in scoring position.

The shutout loss is the seventh of the year for Southern Miss and the 10th shutout win for LSU.

Southern Miss looks to redeem itself this weekend as it faces UTSA in a three-game series including a double-header on Saturday. The first game is set for 1 p.m. on Saturday.