Softball falls to No. 12 Alabama, 2-0

Shortstop Chase Nelson tags second base then attempts to throw to first on April 15 at the Softball Complex.

On Wednesday, Southern Miss (24 – 23) traveled to Tuscaloosa, Ala., to take on the Crimson Tide (37 – 9) of the SEC.

The two teams previously met one week ago in Hattiesburg on April 12, where the Tide defeated the Lady Eagles 7 – 1.

Alabama’s Madi Moore pitched almost the entire game, holding the Lady Eagles to only three hits and zero runs, with two walks and four strikeouts. Despite the loss, junior Kim Crowson was solid for Southern Miss through five innings, allowing six hits and two earned runs with one strikeout.

Senior Lauren Holifield had two of the team’s three hits on the night, with the third added by junior Samantha Reynolds. Alabama loaded the bases in the third and earned a run on a sac fly, then added an RBI single in the fifth to make it 2 – 0.

One defensive bright spot for the Golden Eagles was a 5 – 3 double play with the bases loaded in the bottom of the fourth to escape a jam and end the inning.

The softball team will head to Bowling Green, Ky. this weekend for a three game C-USA series with Western Kentucky. The first game will begin Saturday at 1 p.m.