Golden Eagles losing streak reaches five games

Southern Miss (14-25, 4-8 C-USA) softball team’s midseason skid continued Saturday as the Golden Eagles were swept by the Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters (19-17, 7-5 C-USA) in a three game series.

Game one of the weekend series started with a 4-1 loss for the Golden Eagles. Southern Miss had a strong start as Caitlyn Aldous doubled to score first baseman Sarah Van Sheik from first base, giving Southern Miss an early 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning.

The Golden Eagles’ bats fell silent after the top of the second as Southern Miss produced only two hits for the remainder of the game. Starting pitcher Jillian Johnson (2-4) took the loss for the Golden Eagles, pitching 2.3 innings while giving up two earned runs on two hits with three walks and a strikeout.

Game two featured pitcher Samantha Robles (6-10) in the losing effort. She lasted five innings, giving up three earned runs to go along with five hits, four strikeouts and three walks in the 4-3 loss.

Game three, showcased a livelier Golden Eagle offense with Southern Miss managing to put nine hits in the box score, its most of any contest during the series. Alyssa Davis hit her third home run of the season during the top of the fourth inning of game three, cutting the Lady Techster lead to one, 3-2, but La. Tech was able to add another run in the bottom of the fourth inning to kill any Southern Miss momentum and took back a two-run lead to go on to win, 8-4.

Starting pitcher Kim Crowson (6-7) and Robles both turned in 2.3 innings of work in game three, combining to allow five runs on five hits, seven walks and four strikeouts. However, Johnson took another loss again for the Golden Eagles.

The Golden Eagles return to action on Tuesday, April 3 as they travel to Mobile, Alabama, to take on the University of South Alabama Jaguars (18-17, 5-6 Sun Belt). First pitch is set for 6 p.m.