Golden Eagles Losing Skid Increases to Three Games

The Southern Miss Golden Eagles failed to notch a win in the COX Diamond Invitational in Pensacola, Florida, over the weekend. The Golden Eagles fell to North Florida 3-2, Saint Louis 2-1 and tied Nicholls State in a rain-shortened game, 1-1.

In their first contest against North Florida, the Golden Eagles committed four errors and it ultimately cost them after a solid outing by starting pitcher Christian Talley. USM started off strong and recorded the first run of the game in the fifth inning, thanks to a Breck Kline single.

North Florida would answer back quickly in the following inning and plated two runs, due to three errors. The Ospreys added another run in the eighth, again because of an error.

The Golden Eagles would rally in the ninth and get the inning started off with three straight singles by Chuckie Robinson, Chase Scott and Nick Dawson. Ryan Ellis came into the game to pinch hit and knocked in Robinson on a fielder’s choice.

Connor Barron walked to reload the bases before Kline would line out to end the Golden Eagles’ rally. Talley was given the loss after seven strong innings; he recorded three unearned runs on five hits with two walks and four strikeouts.

In their second game of the COX Diamond Invitational, the Golden Eagles fell to Saint Louis in another heated contest, 2-1. The game opened much like the previous one against North Florida with USM scoring the first run off a Dylan Burdeaux single to score Barron.

The lead was short lived, though, as the Billikens answered in the fourth. After a leadoff single, Golden Eagle pitcher Cody Carroll recorded back-to-back strikeouts before a throwing error cost USM their lead.

Carroll shut out the Billikens through seven innings and recorded eight strikeouts, and the score remained deadlocked until the eighth inning when Carroll was pulled for reliever Taylor Braley.

Things started off rough for Braley, who allowed the first batter he faced to notch a single. Braley fought back and earned a strikeout, and a sacrifice bunt left him with only one out to get.

He failed to get it though as Mike Vigliarolo became the hero for the Billikens and knocked in the game-winning run. The Golden Eagles ended up leaving nine men stranded in the contest.

Their final game in the COX Diamond Invitational saw something happen to the Golden Eagles that had not happened in over 30 years — a tie.

Rainy conditions saw the contest between USM and Nicholls State end in the seventh inning. USM scored their only run in the first inning off a Durst single  to plate Barron.

Nicholls State answered in the fourth with an RBI single by Darrius Knight. The score remained tied when the game was called at 8:39 p.m.

The last time a game that ended in a tie was in 1984 when USM tied 11-11 against Mississippi College.

Southern Miss will continue their road trip with a game against Louisiana-Monroe Tuesday and then a three-game series at Troy University.